Saturday, November 14, 2020

Bebe Zito - Pumpkin Becky

Pumpkin Becky - Roasted Pumpkin Base with Cafe Miel Sauce throughout with Ginger Molasses Cookie Dough, topped with Roasted Pecans. (No Karens were harmed in the making of this ice cream)
 

Today's flavor is from the Bebe Zito scoop shop in south Minneapolis.  It is called Pumpkin Betty.  It is another pumpkin flavor for the fall.  Like the recent Sweet Science flavor Pumpkin Pepita Brittle, there is creative use of mix-ins in a pumpkin base.  Here, Bebe Zito uses a ginger molasses cookie dough with some cafe miel sauce and roasted pecans.  I had to look up cafe miel:  it is a coffee drink with milk, honey and cinnamon.  (miel is French word for honey). 

The flavor name and flavor description have fun with the terms 'Becky' and 'Karen' which are slang labels people younger than me use for types of annoying people.  I was talking to my mom about this flavor name the other day (she sometimes asks what flavors are in my freezer).  I was expecting to have to try to explain to her about Becky's and Karen's but instead she said "Oh, is that like an Apple Betty?".  You know?  Maybe it is!  There are some similarities with spiced doughy mix-ins inside the base.  Bebe Zito turns  Betty into Becky with its unique twist on the mix-ins (cafe miel).  Just a fun theory.  I am not sure if that is actually what they had in mind.

Enough talk, onto the ice cream!  Removing the lid, I see the pumpkin base with with a fair amount of brown goop on the top.  It looks like brown sugar.  Digging in, I see the chunks of cookie dough.  These are like ginger snap dough.  I can taste the molasses and brown sugar.  It is very tasty.  The pumpkin base is flavorful and goes well with the cookie dough.  The ginger in the cookie dough is not too strong and effectively blends with the pumpkin spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, etc) in the base ice cream.  I don't specifically taste the cafe miel (honey & coffee) but it could be that it as blended into the mix somehow.

This is an excellent pint from Bebe Zito.  There are a lot of ingredients and I don't specifically taste every one but altogether the brown sugary molasses cookie dough mix-ins go really well with the pumpkin base.  Like Sweet Science's Pumpkin Pepita Brittle, I applaud the use of large flavorful mix-ins in a pumpkin ice cream.  There are a lot of simple pumpkin flavors out there, maybe some with caramel or cream cheese, but if you're in the mood for an extra chunky pumpkin pint during this holiday season, give Pumpkin Becky a try.


 





 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment