Monday, November 11, 2019

Sebastian Joe's - Pumpkin Salty Caramel

Pumpkin Salty Caramel - Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream with a Salted Caramel Swirl

The next pint in my freezer is from the Minneapolis-based Sebastian Joe's.  It is called Pumpkin Salty Caramel.  We are coming up on the Thanksgiving holiday, so I figured I would try something seasonal.  The inclusion of a salted caramel swirl in a pumpkin base intrigues me.  I don't think I have seen that before and I am looking forward to checking it out.

Removing the lid, I see the expected brownish-orange color of the pumpkin base and it looks so chunky.  Sebastian Joe's pints are often like this.  The ice cream is so thick and dense that it almost looks like dough.  Digging in, the pumpkin flavor is quite good and it is spiced well with the appropriate pumpkin spices (I added a 'cinnamon' label for this review, but there is probably also nutmeg and perhaps allspice, cloves or ginger).  As I continue eating, I quickly encounter some caramel.  Some of it is in a swirl, but some appears to have blended into the base a bit.  It goes surprisingly well with the pumpkin.  I wonder why I have not seen this comment before.  It does make the ice cream a bit sweeter than usual, but not too much.  At times, it reminds me of the batter for our family pumpkin bread recipe -- which is a compliment.

This is a very well done pumpkin flavor from Sebastian Joe's and the salted caramel swirl is a welcome twist.  It is a little bit sweeter than the average pumpkin flavor but not too much.  Check it out if you are at Sebastian Joe's -- 'tis the season after all.







No comments:

Post a Comment