Friday, November 1, 2019

Izzy's - Trick Or Treat

Trick Or Treat - Vanilla Ice Cream with a Mash-up of Halloween Candy

Last night was Halloween and surfing the Saint-Paul-based Izzy's Ice Cream flavor up page on the bus on my way home from work, I saw that their Halloween flavor "Trick Or Treat" was available.  Trekking down to the Saint Paul scoop shop to get a pint.  I beat the rush so the friendly scooper was able to tell me a little about the flavor.  He said that vanilla ice cream is the base and then it is a different bunch of bite-sized Halloween candy each year -- just whatever happened to be available when they were making the batch.  That reminded me a bit of trick-or-treating.  Some years, it was a lot of snickers, other years it was Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, other years it could be butterfingers.  So, it should be fun to see what is in this pint.  I realize this is the day after Halloween, but that also reminded me of when I was a kid.  You get all the candy on Halloween night and then you eat it the next day -- well maybe not all of it, but as much as I could.

OK, on to the ice cream.  Removing the lid, I see the bright white color of the vanilla base with several colorful mix-ins visible on top.  It looks like I must have gotten a few peanut M&M's -- their color will bleed a bit in ice cream.  Digging in, I do verify that there are peanut M&M's.  I also quickly encounter a small mini peanut butter cup half.  As I eat my way down, I amuse myself guessing what each mix-in is.  I believe I got a Rolo, a chunk of Heath bar, a chocolate Malt ball (Whopper) and then some repeats of the above.  Interestingly, although this sounds like an overloaded pint, there was quite a bit of vanilla ice cream to enjoy as well.  It is quite thick and creamy which a bright vanilla flavor.

I really enjoyed this holiday pint from Izzy's.  I was skeptical and figured I'd get it just to be seasonal, but this was really fun.  It was a great mix of different types of candies and did not feel at all overloaded -- plenty of ice cream to enjoy too.  If they still have it, check it out, if not, then keep it in mind next year.






4 comments:

  1. David do know if Izzy's has any plans on moving from their Marshall Ave location?
    A group member said she saw for lease signs on her last visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not heard that. I hope not!

      I had heard from their "Doors Open Minneapolis" tour last spring that their primary ice cream production has been shifted to the Minneapolis location for a while now. So maybe they are vacating the back room in Saint Paul where they used to make the ice cream when that was their primary shop? It's possible the sign was for another tenant in the strip as well.

      My freezer is all queued up for the month. I have a pint of Izzy's (Butter Queen Coffee) in my freezer, but I bought it on Halloween along with this pint. I have a trip planned for the end of the month so I might not be able to check until December.

      Delete
    2. If you do make it back there one of our other Bloggers had a post about another food business that just opened on that block.
      Steve's Root Beer Journal: "Remix:" A New Candy and Popcorn Shop in the Merriam Park Neighborhood of St. Paul
      http://rootbeerjournal.blogspot.com/2019/11/remix-new-candy-and-popcorn-shop-in.html?m=1

      Delete
  2. Lots of comments on this one but here's the Best so far!
    Izzy's will as always have my business and gratitude. In 2015 my father was in hospice dying of lung cancer, One of his favorite things in the world was black licorice ice cream I myself cannot stand that candy but hes loved it all his life. I started calling around to see if anybody carried it, it is a unique flavored that not many people enjoy, Izzys wasn't carrying it at the time but offered to make a small batch for my father. Luckily just a few days before he passed I was able to bring him one of his favorite treats. I will forever be grateful for Izzys.

    ReplyDelete