Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Izzy's - Pumpkin

Pumpkin - Pumpkin Ice Cream with Cinnamon-like Spices
I am back with another pint from Izzy's Ice Cream in Saint Paul already.  I do not usually do two consecutive reviews from the same brand if I can help it, but they had a pint sale and I was in the mood for something seasonal.  Somehow, I had not already reviewed Izzy's Pumpkin flavor so I thought I would give it a shot.

The ice cream is the appropriate dark orange (brown?) color.  It might be slightly darker than I expected but not much.  Pumpkin bread is one of our family's older recipes and I know that some pumpkin puree is darker than others and the mixture gets considerably darker once you add the spices.  Digging in, the ice cream is very thick and creamy.  It is also a bit spicier than I expected.  That would definitely explain the darker color.  This actually tastes a bit like the batter of our family pumpkin bread recipe.  I know that I said the very same thing about a recent Sebastian Joe's pint, but that was the first thing that popped into my head once again.  Makes me want to make that recipe.  It is quite delicious.  I really like the extra spiciness.  The website description in the link above lists 'cinnamon-like' spices but I'm going to go ahead and add nutmeg and cloves tags to the review as well as I recognize those flavors in the mix as well. 

This is an excellent, homogeneous pumpkin flavor from Izzy's.  I was in the mood for something seasonal and this really hits the spot.  This is indeed the second pumpkin flavor this month, the other being from Sebastian Joe's.  I really enjoyed both, but they are slightly different flavors so it is worth pointing out the differences.  The Sebastian Joe's is not straight pumpkin, but Pumpkin Salty Caramel.  So it was noticeably sweeter with a touch of caramel flavor blended into the mix.  Izzy's was more of a straight pumpkin implementation but was definitely spicier.  Not hot, but the cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves were quite flavorful.  For a straight pumpkin implementation, you can't beat this pint.  Enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment