Thursday, November 7, 2019

McConnell's - Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate

Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate - Chocolate Ice Cream with Chocolate Ganache and Chocolate Chips

This is the last flavor from my recent five-pint shipment from McConnell's Fine Ice Creams in Santa Barbara.  A reminder that I ordered these McConnell's flavors online because I can't find them locally in Minnesota.  Today's flavor is called Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate.  I am amused because I have written before about how almost every brand tends to have a "chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate" flavor which they make to appease chocoholics and here is a pint which takes that glib description and turns it into the flavor name!  The three chocolates used here are a chocolate ice cream base, a swirl of chocolate ganache and chocolate chips.  Are you ready for some chocolate?  Let's check it out!


Removing the lid and peeling back the protective cover, I see a lot of chocolate!  At first it looks like a lot of the chocolate base but when I hold it at an angle in the light, I can see shinier parts.  Some of the ganache is on the top surface as well.  As you can see from the photos below, it is quite dark.  Digging in, the ice cream is extra thick and dense yet still creamy as I have come to expect from McConnell's.  The chocolate flavor is quite potent, but yet not as overwhelming as I thought it might be.  Sometimes when brands make this kind of flavor they proudly go way overboard on the intensity of the chocolate flavor.  Here, they have kept the chocolate-level at 'strong'.  As I continue to eat down into the pint, I note that the ganache has mostly blended into the base.  It gives the base a richer chocolatey flavor, but don't expect gooey swirls of ganache.  The chocolate chips are distributed throughout the pint.  They are not overly numerous, but do provide some crunchy texture from time to time.

This pint is called Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocolate and it does deliver quite a bit of chocolate.  It is not overwhelming, though, so it would appeal to anyone who enjoys chocolate and not just chocoholics looking for something extreme.  So, more chocolatey than their standard chocolate flavor, but too much.  I quite enjoyed it actually.  Perhaps my favorite from this shipment.  Check it out if you have access to McConnell's.










No comments:

Post a Comment