Friday, November 15, 2019

Milkjam Creamery - Ooey Gooey

Ooey Gooey - Malted Milk Ice Cream with Salted Gooey Butter Cake

I stopped by Milkjam Creamery in Minneapolis and found a flavor available in pints which I had not yet tried, so I picked it up.  This flavor is called Ooey Gooey.  It is based on Gooey Butter Cake, a dessert popularized in Saint Louis, Missouri.  I have had flavors based on this type of cake, from both Jeni's and Ample Hills.  It will be interesting to see how Milkjam compared to these.

Opening the lid, I see a cream-colored base with one of the cake pieces visible on top.  Digging in, the base ice cream is quite soft.  Then I encouter the cake pieces and they are quite soft.  "Ooey Gooey" is definitely a good description for this entire pint.  The flavor description says that the base is malted milk.  I may taste a little bit of malt, but it is not too malty.  The cake pieces and the base ice cream have similar flavors.  It is mainly the texture which allows me to recognize them in my head as I eat each spoonful.  The whole pint is rather sweet.  Ooey gooey and stick sweet.

This is an interesting implementation of a gooey butter cake flavor from Milkjam.  The soft texture reminds me more of Jeni's than of Ample Hills, but it is most certainly softer than each of them.  I found it a bit on the sweet side which is interesting because often malt is used to mute sweetness.  Perhaps the balance of malt vs sweetness is something that varies from batch to batch.  At any rate, Milkjam is local and those Jeni's & Ample Hills flavors are not, so if you have a sweet tooth and are curious about gooey butter cake, you could give this flavor a try.






1 comment:

  1. Yes I've heard of this cake from the St.Louis area.
    Curious enough they are also famous for the St. Paul Sandwich which I don't think would work too well in Ice Cream as it consists of a Egg Foo Young patty served between two peices of white bread with mayo, Lettuce, tomatoes and onions.
    A member of our group actually started serving this at her Lowertown restaurant Black Dog, not sure if this is still available.

    ReplyDelete