Saturday, November 6, 2021

OddFellows - Joe Bananas

Joe Bananas - Coffee Ice Cream with Banana Bread and Walnuts 
 

I made an online order from the Brooklyn-based Oddfellows Ice Cream!  So a quick note to local readers that I am not aware that this brand is available anywhere in the Twin Cities (except online).  The first flavor is called Joe Bananas which was originally released as part of the "ODB Capsule" which honored the hip-hop legend ODB who was one of the founding members of the Wu-Tang Clan.  "Joe Bananas" was one of his nicknames.  OddFellows let me mix and match flavors when I made my purchase, so I did not buy the entire ODB Capsule, but this particular flavor looked pretty good so I picked it up.  The ice cream includes a coffee ice cream base with banana bread pieces and walnuts.  I have never seen anything close to this flavor combination before.  Banana is commonly pared with chocolate, let's see how pairing it with coffee works out.

Removing the lid, the coffee base has a creamy taupe color to it.  A bit creamier than the usual coffee base but not that out of the ordinary.  Digging in, the coffee flavor is decent -- not too strong.  Soon, I run into the banana bread pieces.  These are smaller than I expected.  Because of their small size, they mainly provide some chewy textural difference and not as much banana-bread flavor as I expected.  I ran into some walnuts from time to time, though again not as many as I was expecting.

This is a decent coffee-based flavor.  The flavor name and ingredient list raised my expectations about how much banana bread and walnuts would be included.  So, although this was a pleasant enough flavor which was easy to eat, I feel like there was not enough banana bread.









No comments:

Post a Comment