Friday, December 17, 2021

Milkjam Creamery - Velour Tracksuit

Velour Tracksuit - Pomegranate & Mulled Wine Sorbet
 

The next December flavor (instagram link here) from the Minneapolis-based Milkjam Creamery is called Velour Tracksuit (instagram link here).  What a great flavor name?    At first I didn't undertand the flavor name, but reading the instagram link, they mention that it is a sorbet made from a mulled wine which is as "smooth as a velour tracksuit".    That made me look up velour which made me stumble upon this fascinating article about the differences between velvet, velour and velveteen.  I should stop there because I need to focus on the sorbet!  This sorbet is made from pomegranate and mulled wine which is a first for me.  It's a spiced wine.  Here, they spice it with cinnamon, cloves, allspice and orange peel.  I do not actually own a velour tracksuit, but I do have cotton pajamas to wear as I enjoy this pint.  Let's go!

Removing the lid, the sorbet has a deep magenta (purplish pink) color.  Digging in, the sorbet is very dense and thick. I can tell just by scooping it that there is no cream, but it does have a little bit of scoopability to it.  It is not slushy.  The flavor is quite potent.  The pomengranate and wine flavors hit be first and then the spices linger in my mouth as a 'finish' flavor.  A very interesting effect.  I have never actually had mulled wine before.  The cloves stick out the most for me.  I was able to finish the pint in one sitting but it was very filling.  This might have been best sharing with a friend (or two).

This is a solid and interesting mulled wine sorbet from Milkjam Creamery.  I learned about mulled wine and it's not bad and tastes pretty good in a sorbet.  This is a dense and filling pint, though.  Try to split it into two or three bowls.






No comments:

Post a Comment