Monday, June 21, 2021

Milkjam Creamery - Cake Batter vs Cookie Dough

Cake Batter vs Cookie Dough - Cake Batter Ice Cream with Cookie Dough Chunks
 

We return to the Minneapolis-based Milkjam Creamery for the final pint from their June "nostalgia series" (instagram link here).  This one is called Cake Batter vs Cookie Dough (instagram link here).  It features a cake batter ice cream with cookie dough mix-ins.  I like cake and I like cookies, but I don't think I have seen them together like this.  I am quite intrigued and looking forward to checking this out.

Popping off the lid, I see sprinkles!  I was not expecting sprinkles.  This is a birthday cake batter!  The first thing that popped into my head when I read 'cake batter' was a yellow cake batter.  Perhaps because Ben & Jerry's Cake Batter was my very first review, but also because of a subsequent Coolhaus flavor.  Looking more closely, I have had vanilla cake batter or birthday cake batter ice cream before from Graeter's (here) and a couple of limited-batch Ben & Jerry's flavors (here and here).  Digging in, this Milkjam flavor does taste like Birthday Cake.  It is pretty good and the sprinkle mix-ins add to that aesthetic.  As I dig my way down, I encounter the cookie dough mix-ins.  These are regular chocolate chip cookie dough pieces.  You know, the kind made with brown sugar, butter, eggs and chocolate chips.  It is good.

This is a very interesting combination of flavors from Milkjam Creamery.  You have the white birthday cake base with white sugar, no egg whites and buttercream mixed with the chocolate chip cookie dough with its brown sugar, egg yolks and butter.  On the whole, I think the birthday cake is the dominant flavor but the mix-ins provide quite a contrast when you bite into them.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment