Monday, June 28, 2021

Grand Ole Creamery - Butter Pecan

Butter Pecan - Butter Ice Cream with Pecans
 

I returned to the Grand Ole Creamery of Saint Paul for the first time in a while to pick up a couple of pints.  Today's point is the flavor Butter Pecan, the simple yet extremely popular classic flavor.  I bought it at the scoop shop on Grand Avenue, but I have also seen it at Widmer's in Saint Paul.  I have had simple versions of this flavor from Talenti, Graeter's and Häagen-Dazs, and I've had brown butter or brown butter bourbon versions from Sweet Science, Graeter's and Ample Hills.  Let's see how Grand Ole Creamery compares.

Removing the lid, the butter base has a yellowish white color -- consistent with butter.  I can see quite a few pecans right away on top.  Digging in, the ice cream is thick and creamy.  At times it feels like it has an almost sticky texture to it as it seems to want to stick to my spoon.  The flavor is simple and basic -- this is definitely not a brown butter version.  The butter flavor is not that strong, but I can tell that it is not sweet cream or vanilla.  The pecans are dispersed generously and are a decent size.  I'd say mostly quarters with perhaps a few halves.

This is a very simple, but solid implementation of a butter pecan flavor from Grand Ole Creamery.  There are a lot of pecans and the soft, mild-flavored butter base complements them quite well.  It is not too exciting of a flavor, but I think that is the appeal of butter pecan.  No praline coating, no chocolate, just good nuts and thick ice cream.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment