Monday, June 7, 2021

Pumphouse Creamery - Fig, Black Tea & Local Blue Cheese

Fig, Black Tea & Local Blue Cheese - Blue Cheese Ice Cream with swirls of Fig and Black Tea Jam
 

Today's flavor from the Minneapolis-based Pumphouse Creamery is called Fig, Black Tea & Local Blue Cheese.  This flavor looks very interesting!  It reminds me a bit of the one other time I have had fig in an ice cream before Coolhaus' Balsamic Fig & Mascarpone ice cream.  That flavor was billed as "like a frozen cheese plate".  I think that idea applies even more here with its use of blue cheese instead of mascarpone.  Black tea is also mixed into the fig jam here.  Let's check it out!

Removing the lid, I see that the blue cheese base has a thick and chunky texture and with thick sections of the fig and tea jam.  Digging in, this is not a sweet pint.  The fig tea jam swirl has a complex flavor similar to that of the filling of a fig newton.  The flavor of the blue cheese base is fairly mild.  It is not at all salty like some blue cheeses that I have had.  It is thick, but it is still scoopable like an ice cream.

This is a very interesting and eclectic flavor from Pumphouse.  This has more of a "frozen cheese plate" flavor to it than the Coolhaus pint linked above.  I did like it though.  Perhaps especially because I tend to appreciate out-of-the-ordinary flavors more than most because of all the different kinds of ice cream that I have had.  If you like fig newtons or if you are just feeling adventurous, give this flavor a try the next time it is available.


 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment