Sunday, June 13, 2021

Milkjam Creamery - Toasty Strudy

Toasty Strudy - Puff Pastry Ice Cream with Strawberry Jam and and Icing Swirl
 

The next flavor in Milkjam Creamery's June Nostalgia series (instagram link here) is called Toasty Strudy (instagram link here).  From the link, it looks like this is based on Pillsbury's strawberry Toaster Strudel.  As far as personal nostalgia goes, my father worked for Pillsbury back when they were still an independent company (today, they are brand owned by General Mills).  That said, I haven't had one of these Toaster Strudels before.  It looks like a softer version of a pop tart.  The ice cream implementation features a puff pastry ice cream with swirls of strawberry jam and frosting.  I am looking forward to checking this out.

Removing the lid, I see a mostly white base on top.  I see some hints of strawberry around the rim plus perhaps a little hint of some white frosting in there as well.  Digging my spoon in, I start to see more of the strawberry swirl.  The swirl does taste like jam and not just a strawberry sauce.  It is not too sweet or too tart.  It is the type of jam that would go well on a piece of toast.  The base ice cream is good vehicle for the strawberry swirl, but I do not notice hunks of pastry in it.  Reading the instagram links above, it looks like they blend house-baked pastry into a custard.  It works.  There is not as much frosting in the mix as I was expecting but I do encounter a little bit of it from time to time which delivers a bit of extra sweetness.  The pictures below do not show a lot of strawberry, but a little bit of this swirl goes a long way and there was good strawberry flavor in just about every spoonful.

I enjoyed this strawberry-swirl based pint from Milkjam Creamery.  It is not as intense of a strawberry swirl as some other pints that I have had, but it is still quite a pleasant and delicious pint.  This reminds me of a muted and more balanced version of the pop tart-themed Strawberry Topped Tart pint which Ben & Jerry's released earlier in the year.  Both are delicious in their own way.  Ben & Jerry's was embracing the low-brow, candied and sweet nature of a pop tart.  Toasty Strudy is a more an implementation that you'd see in a cloth-napkin restaurant.








No comments:

Post a Comment