Friday, June 25, 2021

Milkjam Creamery - D'Oh

D'Oh - Donut Ice Cream with Donut Croutons and Sprinkles
 

Today's flavor comes from Milkjam Creamery of south Minneapolis, but it is not part of their monthly specials.  This flavor is called D'oh (instagram link here).  It is a donut-themed ice cream and I gather the name comes from Homer Simpson's favorite expression.  I just saw on instagram that this falvor was 'back' and available in pints for a limited time so I went down there to the scoop shop.  The first person that waited on me seemed a bit confused but when they asked someone else, they went back into a separate freezer and grabbed me a pint.  The lettering artwork on the side of the pint is cute.  As mentioned above, this point is donut-themed.  The base is called "donut ice cream" (I will have to see what that means), the mix-ins are donut 'croutons' and then there are sprinkles in the mix as well.  Let's dig in!

Removing the lid, I see a white base with sprinkles visible.  This looks a lot like a "birthday cake" flavor -- such as Milkjam's recent Cake Batter vs Cookie Dough pint.  Digging in, this base ice cream tastes a bit different than a birthday cake ice cream.  It is very "milky" actually.  Soon I encounter the donut 'croutons'.  These are just generous chunks of donut which are immersed in the ice cream.  They are soft (not dried or toasted like a crouton for a salad would be).  These are pretty good.  The sprinkles provide a bit of color and some sugar.

This is a fun twist on a birthday cake flavor.  Donut pieces instead of cake pieces and a lighter milky base instead of one based on frosting.  I like it.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment