Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Milkjam Creamery - Hawaii N Punch

Hawaii N Punch - Tropical Fruit Punch Sorbet
 

The theme for June for the Minneapolis-based Milkjam Creamery is nostalgia (instagram link here).  Today's flavor is Hawaii N Punch (instagram link here).  It is a tropical fruit punch sorbet based on the soft drink.  Hawaiian Punch was developed by A.W. Leo in Fullerton California in the 1934.  It is currently owned by Dr. Pepper.  Fun fact, the word "punch" is not related to the punching of the fist or punching of a hole through something.  It comes from the Hindi word for 'five' because early recipes for this type of drink contained five ingredients.  The original 1934 recipe for Hawaiian Punch did actually contain five juices - orange, pineapple, passion fruit, guava and papaya.  As far as nostalgia goes, I do remember loving this drink when I was eight.  I do not drink things that sweet anymore, so we'll see how this goes.  This is a sorbet, so it is just the punch with ice and then churned -- no cream.  Let's check it out.

Removing the lid, the sorbet has a lighter pink color than I was expecting.  I remember Hawaiian Punch being a deep red color.  Digging in, the fruit punch flavor is also not as concentrated as I remember the old soft drink being.  But it turns out that this is a very wise choice.  Above, I mentioned that I was a little apprehensive I don't crave hyper-sweet fruit punch like I did when I was eight.  Well, they've muted the flavor just enough to make it delicious.  I very much approve.  I was able to eat the entire pint in one sitting -- perhaps aided by the fact that it has been hot here in the Twin Cities this month.

This is a delicious and tastefully implemented fruit punch sorbet from Milkjam Creamery.  The flavor is a bit muted from what I remember of the original soft drink but it is not going to make you so hyper that your mother makes you run around the house ten times to tire you out.  That said, it is still fruity and sweet enough for kids, too.  Enjoy.

 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment