Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Talenti - Southern Butter Pecan

Southern Butter Pecan - Buttery Gelato with Roasted Pecans and Swirls Dulce de Leche

Today's flavor comes from Talenti Gelato.  I have been eagerly scanning freezer cases for the new layers flavors and I occasionally see a flavor in their regular line up which I have not reviewed and looks intriguing.  This is one of those flavors.  This is Southern Butter Pecan.  Butter Pecan is one of the most common and traditional flavors.  What looks intriguing here is the extra swirl of caramel (or more precisely here: Dulce de Leche).

Let's check it out!  Unscrewing the lid, I see the off-white beige color of the butter gelato base with some speckling of the dulce de leche swirl.  Digging in, I can taste a little bit of the butter flavor in the base.  I do not usually associate buttery-ness with gelatos, but this works pretty well.  I encounter the pecans next.  These are fairly substantial in size -- not too small, about the size of 'halves' -- and taste quite good.  They are roasted and provide quite a bit of crunch.  The dulce de leche swirl looks like it has mostly blended into the base.  I see bits of it from time to time but there is nowhere near as much of it as I would have guessed from looking through the clear container.

This is a decent implementation of a butter pecan.  I am not sure that this flavor lends itself to Talenti's gelato texture, though.  When I think of a butter pecan, I think of ice creams from Häagen-Dazs and Graeter's where the buttery-ness adds to the creamy texture.  The mostly disappearing dulce de leche swirl keeps this from being a 'butter pecan plus' flavor like all the bourbon pecan implementations out there.  Don't get me wrong, it still has good flavor and Talenti fans may still want to check it out.  It's just that I don't think this particular flavor combination is in Talenti's wheelhouse.







2 comments:

  1. David did you find this pint locally or was it mail order?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry. Local. I've never gotten a mail order of Talenti.

      I'm guessing I got this at the Cub in the Midway, but I'm not sure. I don't think it is a hard flavor to find. I have seen it at multiple places.

      Delete