Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Tillamook - Sea Salt & Honeycomb Toffee

Sea Salt & Honeycomb Toffee - Honey Frozen Custard with Honeycomb Toffee & Sea Salt
Today's flavor comes from the Tillamook Creamery in Oregon:  Sea Salt & Honeycomb Toffee.  I bought it at Kowalski's on Grand in Saint Paul.  When I first saw this flavor, I thought it might be a renaming of their Salted Caramel Toffee flavor, but I checked their website and saw that these are two distinct flavors.  Both have toffee, but today's flavor is honey-based instead of caramel-based.

Let's check it out!  Removing the lid, I see (or am reminded that) Tillamook has joined the chorus of brands that add (a) an extra seal over the top of the pint and (b) put a fun message on it.  "Mine.  All mine."  Yes, yes.  Sorry readers!  I'm eating all of this!  Go buy your own!  Ha ha.  OK.  Peeling back the seal I see the base is an off white color with little crumbs of mix-ins visible.  Digging in, this is very creamy stuff.  I note that this is labeled as a 'frozen custard' which means that there's extra eggs in the mix.  That gives it a softer texture as well.  The flavor is good.  I can taste the honey.  I often have trouble tasting the honey in a honey base (it'll taste good, but like a differently sweetened sweet cream) but I taste it here.  It is not super strong, though.  Immersed throughout the pint are honeycomb candy pieces.  These are excellent!  Sometimes honeycomb pieces can be a little too much like hard candy and sometimes I see the other extreme and it completely dissolves.  These are the perfect texture.  They are crunchy in an almost nutty way. 

I really enjoyed this pint.  It was one of the best honey-based flavors that I have had -- both the base and the mix-in.  It is a frozen custard, so expect it to be a little softer in texture than the usual pint but flavor-wise this is excellent.  If honey & honeycomb is your thing, then check it out.






4 comments:

  1. This Brand seems to be a hit with Members of East Metro Foodies as it already has 43 likes and 16 comments.
    Can you see an increase in page views on this one?
    You're one of the Few Local Food Bloggers that still have something to write about so keep up the Good Work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, quite a bit more clicks than the other two I wrote up yesterday. BTW, the most popular recent flavor was the new Netflix flavor from Ben & Jerry.

      Yes. Tillamook is a great brand. I'm glad that I found that Kowalski's carries it. I don't like when they do 'layered' pints (mix-ins only on top) but the pints with swirled mix-ins are very well done. I've tried almost all of their flavors already, though. I believe only Sweet Cream is left.

      It's funny, Tillamook's lines of flavors are completely different for 1-pint and 1.75-quart sizes. I want to try some of those 1.75-quart flavors but that's too much in one container for me. Those buying in bulk for larger households could check those out.

      Delete
  2. Yes I remember the Netflix favor but I believe most the discussion was about the name.
    I haven't posted the other two yet because this one is still being discussed but either tonight or tomorrow I will post the next one in the order they came out.
    Most my bloggers are Restaurant Bloggers so very little coming out these days with the exception of Jeni Eats, The Minnesota Skinny and My Annoying Opinions.
    Where Should we go MSP is still releasing reviews they did BC (Before Corona) but I'm glad you're not hindered too much.
    Looking forward to seeing more Ixe Cream Reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. No problem on when/if things get posted/forwarded. FYI, I eat a pint about every other day. The date on the review is the date I ate it. But sometimes I fall behind in my write-ups. I'm trying to do better, but the reviews may come out in bunches during a catch-up period. I don't mind if they don't all get forwarded.

      Delete