Friday, April 17, 2020

Three Twins - Milk Coffee

Milk Coffee - Organic Coffee Ice Cream
I just got word today that Three Twins Ice Cream is shutting down its operations.  They are a Northern California brand which I saw in stores more frequently when I was living in California but I have seen them a few places in Minnesota (Various Co-ops, Festival Foods).  Even though they had fallen out of my rotation, it is still sad to see the loss of an ice cream brand.  They had mostly simple, organic flavors which were not were supper intense or packed with mix-ins, but they were tastefully done.  My favorite flavor so far was Chocolate Orange Confetti -- that was my introduction to blending orange with chocolate.  Yum.  I just online to see if I could find more details about their closing and I found this interesting article from the Nosh Blog.

Anyhow, to commemorate this sad occasion, I ran out to the Mississippi Market on West 7th near Otto to see what they had in stock which I had not tried.  All I could find was Milk Coffee.  It looks like it's a simple coffee ice cream implementation, but it will do.  I suppose this review won't be too helpful if the brand won't be around anymore, but having one last pint seems like the right thing to do.

Removing the lid, the coffee ice cream is a light tan color.  It does seem a little lighter in color than some coffee bases.  Maybe that's why they call it milk coffee?  I suppose all coffee ice cream contains milk, though.  Digging in, the coffee flavor is pretty good.  It is not super strong -- nothing that will give you a caffeine buzz, but it is tasty.  The texture is fairly good.  Easy to scoop but not too soft.  Not too much else to say since it is such a simple flavor.

This is a solid implementation of a coffee ice cream.  It is perhaps a bit muted compared to some stronger coffee pints but it is still quite pleasing to eat.  This sort of lines up with my impression of the brand in general: well thought out and balanced flavors, but perhaps not too strong.  Twin Cities residents may not miss this brand too much because it had not saturated the local market like it had in California but it is still a bummer to see any brand go.






No comments:

Post a Comment