Friday, April 3, 2020

Grand Ole Creamery - Coffee Break

Coffee Break - Espresso Coffee Ice Cream with Crushed Cookies
I have not reviewed a pint from Grand Ole Creamery in a while, but I recently found a pint I hadn't yet tried at Kowalski's on Grand in Saint Paul and decided to check it out.  This is Coffee Break.  It is basically a cookies and cream with a coffee base.  I have had Izzy's version of this flavor with the same name.  At the time of that review, I noted what a cool idea this was for a flavor but now I realize that Grand Ole Creamery was probably first (the scoop shop is ~15 years older).  It'll be fun to see how these two implementations compare. 

Removing the lid, I see the creamy beige color of the coffee base and then several small specks of cookies in there.  Digging in, the coffee ice cream is good.  It is a good coffee flavor which is not too strong or too bitter.  As for the mix-ins, I can tell that the cookie pieces are from Oreos (I occasionally see some white from the creme filling) but the pieces are quite small.  They add a bit of chocolate flavor and coffee and chocolate go well together.

This is a decent pint of ice cream.  The coffee flavor was pretty good and there are some crunchy cookies in there to make it a little more interesting.  That said, the density of cookies is far less than what I'm used to in cookies and cream implementations.  If you check out the pictures in Izzy's version of this flavor, there are bigger cookie pieces and more of them.  So, I was a bit disappointed here.  I will repeat what I said in the Izzy's review, though.  I think more brands should try a coffee cookies and cream flavor.  Oreos (or imitation Oreos) are a great way of delivering chocolate.






No comments:

Post a Comment