Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Talenti - Coconut Chocolate Cookie

Coconut Chocolate Cookie - Layers of Coconut Sorbetto, Oat Crisps, Dairy-free Hot Fudge, More Coconut Sorbetto and Chocolate Cookie Pieces

The third of the four new layers pints from Talenti Gelato is called Coconut Chocolate Cookie.  The first two are reviewed here and here.  I got it at Target in the Midway.  I saw a placeholder price tag for the fourth flavor (Banana Caramel Crunch) at the same store but the slot in the freezer case was empty.  Hopefully they will have a pint in stock soon.  Today's Coconut Chocolate Cookie flavor is a dairy free flavor which means that a coconut sorbetto is used instead of a coconut gelato.  If it didn't say "DAIRY FREE" in big letters, I might not have noticed because Talenti already has quite a few sorbettos in their regular line of flavors.  Also, coconut usually makes for a creamier sorbet than other flavors because it has its own oils and 'milk'.  Here the two layers of coconut sorbet are separated by oat crisps in 'hot' fudge and there is a layer of chocolate cookie pieces on the bottom of the pint.

Unscrewing the lid, like other layered pints I only see the top layer.  Then I go through my labored extraction of a slice from the container.  I do this for the slice photo below, but it actually helps me eat the pint after I'm done.  The coconut sorbetto is pretty hard, I have to push the knife to make my cuts.  Once I get the slice out, as usually I see that the two intersorbetto layers -- the oat crisps and the fudge -- have effectively mixed and it is hard to get the cookies off the bottom of the pint.  OK, digging, the coconut sorbetto is dense and has decent coconut flavor.  It remains dry in my mouth, I almost need to chew it.  The sorbetto is homogeneous -- no chunks or strings of coconut.  The fudge and oat layer is really tasty.  The fudge has a bit of a bite to it, not unlike chocolate syrup and the crisps blend in well and supply some crunch.  The chocolate cookie pieces on the bottom are quite small, they reminded me a bit of mini-chocolate chips.

This is a decent layered pint from Talenti.  My favorite part was the layer of fudge.  The coconut base layers are a bit harder than most of the other layered-pint bases so you might have some issues mixing it together as you scoop it out of the container.  Slicing the pint for the photos helped me out, other people may consider scooping the whole pint into a separate bowl before eating.  If you are careful, you can control how much you blend the layers as you do that.  So, I had some minor issues with this pint, but it was still tasty.  If you're a fan of Talenti's other coconut offerings, then you'll want to check this out.  Also, those with dairy restrictions who have been curious about these layered pints may want to give this a test-drive as well.








No comments:

Post a Comment