Thursday, December 6, 2018

Talenti - Old World Egg Nog


Old World Egg Nog - Egg Nogg Gelato with Vanilla & Nutmeg
Today we try the third and final holiday flavor from Talenti GelatoOld World Eggnog.  (The previous two holiday flavors are here and here).  This looks like a straight implementation of an egg nog flavor.  As I have written in previous reviews, I am not a big fan of egg nog the drink, but I've been surprised at how well it flavors ice cream and other desserts.  I guess my main issue with the drink is the texture, but add some sugar and cream and churn it and it turns into custard -- which I do like!  This flavor adds a bit of nutmeg and vanilla into the mix.  Should be fun!

Unscrewing the distinctive Talenti jar reveals an off-white base.  I can see a surface pattern leftover from when the container was filled at the creamery.  Digging in, I taste the egg-custard flavor.  I taste a hint of vanilla in the mix as well as a light dusting of nutmeg in there.  I checked to see if I tasted any rum (sometimes brands sneak some run into the mix without advertising) and I did not.  The flavor is fairly tasty, but it was not as rich and flavorful as I was expecting.  I shared some with a friend of mine and they liked it better than me.  It's not bad, it's that something seemed a bit off to me.

As I just mentioned, this is a decent pint of egg nog gelato but I was mildly disappointed by it somehow.  Maybe it is the fact that it is a gelato?  Perhaps the custard-like flavor works better for me in a thicker ice cream?  With that in mind, I preferred Jeni's and Coolhaus' Egg Nog flavors to this one.  But, of course, if you're a huge Talenti fan who likes egg nog, you'll probably want to check it out anyways.  You might disagree with me.





No comments:

Post a Comment