Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Talenti - Peppermint Bark

Peppermint Bark - White Chocolate Peppermint Gelato with Semi-Sweet Chocolate Flakes

Today I review the second of three holiday flavors from Talenti Gelato.  They had all three holiday flavors available at my local co-op and I snatched them all up before they ran out.  The first flavor was Pumpkin Pie and today's flavor is called Peppermint Bark.  (The remaining flavor is an Old World Egg Nog). I have had a Peppermint Bark flavor once before.  It is a version of peppermint candy which includes a lot of white chocolate.  I prefer the standard mint chip combination, but 'tis the season and this can help get us all in the holiday mood.

Unscrewing the lid from the distinctive Talenti jar, I see the creamy white color of the white chocolate peppermint base with quite a few chocolate chips visible below.  Digging in, the peppermint flavor is surprisingly strong.  Perhaps the white chocolate in the mix adds some richness and/or creaminess to the mix but I mainly taste peppermint.  It is quite aromatic and delicious.  The chocolate flakes are distributed throughout the pint and provide good chocolate flavor.  The chip density is not extremely high but there is enough that every spoonful contains some chips.

I quite liked this peppermint bark implementation.  It is a much better flavor for me than the Häagen-Dazs flavor.  That said, this version of peppermint bark emphasizes peppermint over white chocolate.  When you do that, you come pretty close to creating just a straight mint chip flavor.  Mint chip is my favorite flavor, so of course I would like that!  But I am wondering if true fans of the specific peppermint bark candy might feel this pint is not bark-y enough?  I am not sure.  But mint-chip lovers (Talenti has a good one) who are in a holiday mood will like it.  Enjoy.







No comments:

Post a Comment