Friday, November 16, 2018

Sweet Science - Cinnamon


Cinnamon - Cinnamon Ice Cream

Today I am reviewing the second November flavor from the Saint Paul-based Sweet Science Ice Cream brand, Cinnamon.  At first blush, this looks like a simple homogeneous flavor which is seasonally appropriate for the holiday pie season, but a note on the side of the pint says that they are using two types of Cinnamon:  Cassia and Ceylon.  I must admit that I did not know before today that there are two different types of cinnamon.  It turns out that there are several.  The Cassia (or Chinese) Cinnamon is the most common and least expensive variety, while Ceylon Cinnamon is more expensive and often billed as the 'true cinnamon' (partly due to its scientific name Cinnamomum verum).  Many foodie blogs tout the benefits of Ceylon cinnamon while a recent Washington Post article downplays the differences.  Since this pint from Sweet Science mixes the two kinds, it could make fans of both kinds of cinnamon happy.  Reminds me a bit of the Coolhaus flavor which mixed the two kinds of vanilla of the 'best of both worlds'.  With that spirit, I look forward to this pint.

Removing the lid, the ice cream is a light tan color.  It is appropriate for a cinnamon base, but perhaps a little lighter than I expected.  Digging in, the pint is texture has that soft, creamy and easy to scoop texture that I've come to appreciate from Sweet Science.  The cinnamon flavor is notable right away.  The initial flavor is sweet and enjoyable and in the aftertaste or 'finish' I can sense hotter notes -- similar to a Big Red gum or red hot candies.  The heat is not front and center though, this is not a hot-and-spicy pint.  This is just something I noted that makes it different from the cinnamon of a pastry roll.

I really enjoyed this pint.  It is quite simple -- there are no mix-ins -- but it had good quality cinnamon flavor.  I imagine a pint like this is meant to accompany a slice of pie, but you could also enjoy a scoop or two of it in isolation -- or be like me and eat the whole pint in one sitting.  It's natural for me to compare this pint to the Izzy's Cinnamon pint from last month.  The two are actually quite similar.  Both featured sweet and flavorful cinnamon with notes of heat in the finish.  They are very close.  If I had to pick one, I might go with Sweet Science by a nose, but it could be because this is the pint I just had.  You can't go wrong with either.






No comments:

Post a Comment