Saturday, November 24, 2018

Ample Hills - Confetti Celebration

Confetti Celebration - Sweet Cream Ice Cream with Confetti Cake, Ribbons of Yellow Buttercream Frosting and Yellow Mickey-shaped White Chocolate Pieces filled with Lemon Cream
Today we complete my survey of the Ample Hills Mickey Mouse Collection.  Please check the first review in the series for background on the collection and their unique packaging.  The flavor designs all have a cake-and-frosting theme which a different twist.  The first pint was peanut-butter-and-strawberry, the second pint was all chocolate, and the third and final pint -- this pint -- is a traditional birthday cake: a white sheet cake with sprinkles.  Let's check it out.

Cracking open the rectangular top shows another one of those company factoids -- it reads that the couple that founded Ample Hills met while vacationing in Trout Lake, New York.  Cool.  This is card number #012, previous pints were #007 and #009.  I wonder if they'll eventually migrate all of their flavors to the square pints?  I guess this collection serves as a bit of a test run.  Anyhow, moving past the card the ice cream is a bright white color.  Digging in, I encounter some cake pieces.  This is the first pint in the series where the cake pieces were obvious -- in previous pints the blending of the swirl into the ice cream was stronger so that you got the flavor but not necessarily the cakey texture.  The cake pieces add some color to the ice cream with their sprinkles.  The swirls of buttercream frosting added more sweetness to the pint.  Lastly, this pint's Mickey-shaped mix-ins had a white-chocolate outside layer with lemon cream on the inside.  The contribution of the Mickey filling -- the lemon cream here -- was more obvious in this pint than it was in the previous pints because this was this was the first pint where the filling did not match the flavor of the cake swirl.  So, it was rather fun to get a small dose of lemon every time I crunched on a Mickey.  Altogether, it was a good combination of flavors -- it reminded me of eating a birthday cake which is what this collection is all about.

I enjoyed this pint quite a bit.  Of the three flavors in this collection, this one is my favorite.  It kept the cake-and-frosting theme and did so in a way that was not too sweet.  There have been a couple of other pints in the white-sheet-cake-and-frosting category this year.  I think McConnell's is still the best, but that is perhaps too high of a bar to use.  This pint is very close.  I'm glad I got to check out this collection on my trip to New York.  I am curious what the future will be for these square pints.  They take some getting used to, but I think they worked out pretty well.


























No comments:

Post a Comment