Friday, November 23, 2018

Ample Hills - Triple Chocolate Surprise

Triple Chocolate Surprise - Chocolate Malted Ice Cream with Chocolate Fudge Cake, Ribbons of Dark Chocolate Buttercream Frosting and Mickey-shaped White Chocolate Pieces filled with Fudge

I am in New York City all week and I am working my way through the Ample Hills' Mickey Mouse Collection.  See the first review for more details on the collection as a whole and its unique packaging. This is pint two: Triple Chocolate Surprise.  The collection's theme is cake & frosting, here the base is chocolate malted, the cake is chocolate and the frosting is chocolate.  That's triple chocolate!

Opening the square pint, I see another factoid card.  This one is number #007, while the previous one is #009.  Removing it exposes the ice cream.  I see a lot of chocolate!  The base ice cream looks like a milky chocolate with some darker brown swirls visible.  Digging in, I taste chocolate of course.  I can tell right away that the chocolate is malted.  Then there are some heavier chocolate sections within the base.  Like the previous pint, the cake and frosting swirls seem to be blended in a bit more than I expected.  I can taste different types of chocolate but at no type is it obviously a spongy cake piece or a sugary frosting piece.  I think the buttercream frosting helps to let the frosting blend with the ice cream better.  Sometimes frosting swirls taste like candy, not here.  Then I encounter the Mickey-shaped mix-ins (pictured below).  They have a white chocolate exterior and are filled with fudge.  They don't supply a lot of intense chocolate flavor by themselves, but they are fun to crunch on.  Overall the mix is good.  The malted base creates a more measured feel to all of the chocolate flavor.  I am tasting a lot of chocolate, but I don't feel like the point is to overload me with it.

This is another solid pint in the collection.  Like the first pint, it's a more measured and subtly blended pint than I expected.  I felt like I was eating a marbled pint of different chocolates rather than something that was obviously cake and frosting.  It is still quite good, though.  Chocolate lovers should like this.  Chocolate junkies looking for an overdose may still prefer a dark chocolate sorbet or New York Super Fudge Chunk, but this is still good chocolate.










No comments:

Post a Comment