Sunday, November 18, 2018

Milkjam Creamery - Monster Mash


Monster Mash - Frankenberry, Booberry & Count Chocula

I know it is almost Thanksgiving, but I found a Halloween flavor and I was worried that it might disappear forever so I picked it up.  The flavor is called Monster Mash from the Minneapolis-based Milkjam Creamery.  The flavor description only says "Frankenberry, Booberry & Count Chocula", so it seems to be a cereal-based flavor based on the General Mills monster cereals which first came out in 1971.  Frankenberry had a strawberry flavor, Booberry was blueberry and Count Chocula was of course Chocolate.  The "Monster Mash" flavor name is from the old novelty song by Bobby (Boris) Pickett from 1962.  Just for kicks, I am going to listen to the song while eating the ice cream.

Opening the pint, I see a lot of color and a lot of cereal pieces.  They weren't lying about the cereal, it is everywhere!  Digging in, I can taste the cereal right away -- specifically the corn-meal that makes up the bulk of the actual cereal.  The real monster cereals are used here.  I tagged the pint with 'blueberry', 'chocolate' and 'strawberry' but all of the flavor here is delivered through the sugar cereal.  The base ice cream is quite colorful.  The photos below do not do the colors of the ice cream justice.  The base colors were mostly pink or blue (I don't remember the orange of the close-up below, that might be the camera shifting the colors because of the red tablecloth).  So, I think Milkjam created two bases, one created by infusing the milk-cream mixture with Frankenberry and the other by infusing the milk-cream mixture with Booberry.  Then the two bases were swirled together and whole pieces of all three cereals were added for crunchy mix-ins (the Count Chocula was primarily a mix-in).  All of this had the potential to be a mess, but it worked out surprisingly well!  The pink and blue colors remained bright and distinct for the most part, there was a strong cereals-in-milk flavor to the whole thing, the cereal pieces were crunchy and fun.

This is a fun and unique pint which I enjoyed more than I expected.  The use of children's sugar cereals provides a campy, kitschy feel that keeps you from taking it too seriously.  It would appeal to young kids and nostalgic older 'kids'.  Mash good.  Grrr!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment