Thursday, May 16, 2019

Ample Hills - PB Wins the Cup

PB Wins the Cup - Vanilla Ice Cream with Chocolate Flakes and House-made Peanut Butter Cups
Today, I continue working my way through my recent shipment from the Brooklyn-based Ample Hills.  This one is called PB Wins the Cup.  This an one of their older, fan-favorite flavors.  Here is their recent blogpost featuring this flavor and how it is created.  I'm not sure why I have not gotten around to trying this one yet.  I plan on remedying that today. 

Removing the lid, I see the bright white color of the vanilla base with hints of the mix-ins underneath.  Digging in, the vanilla is very thick and creamy.  It almost folds as I eat it.  It reminds me of Coolhaus bases which are specifically designed to work well in ice cream sandwiches.  Then I encounter the mix-ins.  These are not your normal peanut butter cups.  These are small cube-sized pieces of peanut butter and chocolate.  What is different here is that chocolate does not necessarily form the outer layer of every piece. Without that constraint, it seems like there is more peanut butter in each chunk.  It's quite good and the thick vanilla base seems design to allow these pieces to be folded in.

This is an excellent peanut butter cup ice cream.  I really like the cube-shaped mix-ins which deliver more peanut butter flavor than the average peanut butter cup mix-in.  There's enough chocolate in the mix, too, of course.  Peanut butter fans will definitely want to check this one out.





No comments:

Post a Comment