Saturday, May 18, 2019

Milkjam Creamery - Who Run the World

Who Run the World - Malted Sweet Cream w/ Caramel Delights & Brown Butter Caramel
Today we return to the Minneapolis-based Milkjam Creamery for a flavor called Who Run The World.  The flavor name is a reference to the Beyonce song Run the World (Girls) which asks the question "Who Run the World?" twenty-seven times and gets the same answer ("Girls") each time.  Milkjam brings this flavor back each March for Women's History Month.  They promptly rename all the flavors during that month of March to the names of famous women.  In 2018, this flavor was renamed to "Oprah" and in 2019 it was renamed to "AOC".  I found this pint last month after it Women's History Month was over and its name had changed back.  The caramel flavor looked different than most of the other pints that I have tried from Milkjam so I picked it up.

On to the ice cream!  The base looks quite yellow as I remove the lid.  I expected it to be a bit more caramel colored.  Digging in, the base has a unique flavor.  It is an interesting mix of brown butter, malt and caramel.  Not really like any of those individual flavors, but not too bad either.  Like many other Milkjam flavors, the ice cream is very soft, yet still creamy.  As I continue eating I run into the mix-ins which they list as 'caramel delights'.  Before eating this pint, I was not sure what a caramel delight was.  Is a the girl scout cookie similar to the samoa?  I don't think so.  They are like small caramel candies.  Caramel-flavored Turkish delight might be closer, but I think I may be straining to explain the 'delight' name.  They taste pretty good and go well with the base.

This is an interesting and decent pint of ice cream.  The base is an subtle mix of flavors, though it feels a bit muted.  It certainly does not have an impact matching the Beyonce song.  The candy-like mix-ins sweetened the pint up a bit, but there were not a lot of them.  I did not like the flavor as much as I expected to, but if you like brown butter caramel and are not a sweet tooth, you might like this flavor more than me.





No comments:

Post a Comment