Sunday, May 12, 2019

Ample Hills - Breakfast Trash


Breakfast Trash - Cap'n Crunch, Frosted Flakes and Corn Pops-Infused Ice Cream mixed with Fruity Pebbles and Fruit Loops
I ordered a shipment from the Brooklyn-based Ample Hills!  They still have a few flavors online that I have not tried, their shipping costs are much cheaper than they used to be, and I had a coupon, so I pulled the trigger.  The first pint from the shipment is a limited batch flavor called Breakfast Trash.  It is available this spring because it won the Flavor Frenzy contest that they hold every year at the same time as college basketball tournament known as March Madness.  Each year, they ask customers to vote online to determine which old flavor to bring back (at least temporarily).  They set it up with head-to-head match-ups in a bracket like the basketball tournament.  This year Breakfast Trash beat our another morning flavor called Sunday Brunch in the finals.  Ice cream for breakfast is catching on!  Breakfast Trash is a cereal-based flavor -- Cap'n Crunch, Frosted Flakes, Corn Pops, Fruity Pebbles, Fruit Loops -- so much cereal!  The Ample Hills Blog recently featured this flavor and how it is made.  Let's check it out.


Opening the pint, I see an off-white base with lots of colored speckles embedded in it.  Digging in, I immediately taste the cereal.  Often, I'd get a hint of a particular kind of cereal.  In one one spoonful, I definitely noticed Cap'n Crunch, in another I was pretty sure that I tasted Corn Pops.  Overall, I noticed a certain thick texture to the ice cream.  The small cereal bits seemed to make the cream more of a 'solid'.  It reminded me of a creamier version of a rice krispie bar -- which is the basis for Ample Hills' Snap Mallow Pop flavor.  This flavor is less gooey (no marshmallows) and more colorful (lots of different kinds of cereals used here) than that one, of course.

I enjoyed this pint, it was fun.  Those who enjoy sugary breakfast cereals will get a kick out of it for sure.  As with a few other 'kitchen sink' flavors, there is a little bit of diminishing returns when so many different flavors are being tossed at you at once, but that can be part of the fun.  With Snap Mallow Pop in their regular line-up, I can see why this is not promoted into their regular line-up, but I am glad I was able to try it while it was available.  And with Sunday Brunch taking the runner-up slot in the Flavor Frenzy, perhaps it will be ice cream for breakfast again next year.







No comments:

Post a Comment