Saturday, May 4, 2019

Milkjam Creamery - Uma Thurman

Uma Thurman - Frozen Greek Yogurt with a Passion Fruit Lychee Swirl
I went to the Minneapolis-based Milkjam Creamery last week and picked up a couple of pints.  The first pint is called Uma Thurman.  This is a frozen Greek yogurt with a passion fruit & lychee swirl.  I was a bit hesitant at first to do a Greek yogurt, but this flavor is always available (and usually listed first!) and it is always available in pints, so it appears to be one of their signature flavors.  Plus, I like passion fruit.  The flavor name is a bit unusual in that it honors a living actress.  I am stumped as to what the connection would be between Uma Thurman and the flavor.  She is not Greek or of Greek descent.  Maybe the yellow-ish swirl is supposed to be her hair?  Or maybe it is that famous suit from the Kill Bill movies?  Or it could be totally random?  It is fun to speculate.

Removing the lid, the frozen yogurt base is bright white and has a fluffy look to it.  A single yellow streak of fruit is visible on the top.  Digging in, the yogurt is quite thick in texture (the fluffy look on the top was misleading) and the flavor is a bit tangy.  I have had a couple of yogurt pints from Jeni's before (here and here) but this is my first Greek yogurt.  I checked to see what makes Greek yogurt different and I guess there is an extra straining step in the process which removes more whey.  So, the yogurt is thicker, creamier, and indeed tangier than regular yogurt.  Eating further, I quickly encounter one of the passion fruit & lychee swirls.  I taste more passion fruit than lychee, but I like passion fruit more so I don't mind.  Perhaps the lychee adds a bit of sweetness to the mix, but I'm not sure.  The fruit swirls are not that large, but a little bit of passion fruit goes a long way.

This is a pretty good pint from Milkjam.  It is a decent balance of a tropical fruit swirl against a tangy Greek yogurt base.  It's not too tangy, though.  Personally, I prefer my passion fruit a bit more intense like with this Sweet Science pint from last year, but if you like a fruit and Greek yogurt blend, then check this pint out.








3 comments:

  1. This sounds interesting. I have never thought of putting passion fruit and lychee together. The McConnell's passion fruit custard is really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost ordered from McConnell's this month but I didn't end up pulling the trigger. Both the Passion Fruit and the Pineapple Guava look really good, but my freezer is really full right now and I'm running out of flavors I haven't tried from them.

      Delete
  2. Hi David! This is Abby, I'm a manager at Milkjam. I love reading your reviews - and you're right, we named it Uma Thurman because of her yellow jumpsuit in Kill Bill. We've had two other greek yogurts, both also named after actresses. Keep up the great reviews!

    ReplyDelete