Thursday, July 22, 2021

Jeni's - Rocket Pop

Rocket Pop - Blueberry and Pineapple swirled into a Buttermilk Yogurt Ice Cream Base
 

As discussed in a previous review, I have recently made an online purchase from Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream of Columbus, Ohio.  The previous review was for a standalone limited batch flavor called Wedding Cake.  The rest of the shipment comprises what they are calling the Ice Cream Truck collection.  Today's flavor is called Rocket Pop which I believe is based on the old Bomb Pop or Firecracker popsicles that you would get from ice cream trucks.  Those tricolored popsicles were flavored with cherry, blue raspberry and some sort of white lemon-lime.  Here Jeni's uses two colors.   Blueberry and pineapple ice creams are swirled together and each ice cream is made with buttermilk and yogurt.  I don't think I have had this flavor combination before.  Sounds very interesting.

Removing the lid and peeling back the protective seal, I see both ice creams right away.  The blueberry has an amazing blue color.  Then the pineapple has a light yellow color to it.  This blue is incredible.  I know Jeni's does not use artificial colors, so I was curious as to how they created this.  The ingredients list spirulina which is a natural blue-green algae.  Jeni's also uses spirulina to create the green color of their Green Mint Chip flavor.  A quick google search tells me that spirulina also comes in blue.  Moving on, I taste the pineapple flavor first.  The blueberry is not too strong, but if I scoop out a spoonful only from the blue part I can taste it.  In both bases, the buttermilk and the yogurt is not a significant part of the flavor.  Those ingredients were chosen for how well they 'held' the pineapple and blueberry flavors.

This is very fun pint!  These colors are beautiful and the pineapple and blueberry are very refreshing together.  There's pints with more intense pineapple or a more deeper blueberry flavor, but this Rocket Pop flavor puts them together in a very fun and nostalgic way.  Enjoy.


 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment