Sunday, March 8, 2020

Pumphouse Creamery - Fresh Banana

Fresh Banana - Banana Ice Cream
Today's flavor is from Pumphouse Creamery in South Minneapolis.  It is a simple flavor:  Fresh Banana.  Pumphouse has been having fun experimenting this winter with some eccentric flavors.  Recent flavors have included Black Garlic and Corn Masa (plus there is a pickle flavor in my freezer).  I wanted to mix a normal flavor in there as well to show although *I* am drawn to the weird and unusual, they still have a lot to offer in their standard line.  Perusing their flavor page, I saw that the banana flavor is described as having a 'cult following' so I figured I would check it out.  I have had quite a few flavors which have included banana (banana chip, bananas foster, banana caramel, banana vanilla wafer, etc), but I believe this is my first straight banana flavor.

Removing the lid the top of the ping is a bright white color.  Knowing that it is banana, I can look and see a hint of yellow in there, but it is as white as most vanillas or sweet creams.  Digging in, the ice cream is thick and creamy and tastes like bananas.  I've written before about the two types of banana ice creams:  ones that have the earthy flavor of banana bread and the sweet banana of a banana pudding or banana cream pie.  This just tastes like fresh bananas!  I guess it would be closer to the banana cream pie bananas but without the gooey sweetness.  It tastes so much like bananas that even though there are no chunks of bananas in this mix, I can almost imagine the texture of a ripe banana in my month as I eat it.  This is delicious.

This is a very simple flavor -- fresh banana -- but very well done.  If you just want banana ice cream, you can't do much better than this.  Enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment