Monday, March 2, 2020

Jeni's - Milkiest Chocolate

Milkiest Chocolate - Milk Chocolate Ice Cream
Today is the fourth and final flavor from my recent shipment from Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream.  I did buy this online, but this is one of their more commonly available flavors.  I have seen this locally at Whole Foods.  This flavor is called Milkiest Chocolate which is their 'milk chocolate' flavor.  I am interested in contrasting this with their Darkest Chocolate flavor which I review just a couple of months ago.  Both are dairy flavors, so they both contain milk, but the 'Darkest' flavor packs in as much cocoa as possible while the 'Milkiest' flavor uses evaporated milk to enhance the dairy.  I am looking forward to comparing the two.

Removing the lid, I see the cool seal with the fun phrase.  Fun.  Peeling back the seal I see the chocolate base has the expected brown color.  It does not look noticeably different from most brands' regular chocolate -- when they said it was 'milkiest', I thought it could be a lighter color, like a chocolate-sweet cream blend or something.  Digging my spoon in, it has the "Jeni's texture" -- thick and dense with tapioca keeping it firm.  It is noticeably less chocolatey than the 'Darkest' flavor I had before, but the chocolate flavor is quite good.  Rather than tasting like chocolate milk, I thought it tasted like one of those German milk chocolate bars.

This is a good implementation of a chocolate ice cream from Jeni's.  I expect it is a popular flavor in scoop shops, but for a super-premium pint, I would prefer the Darkest Chocolate flavor.  That flavor was still dairy (not a sorbet) and not at all bitter -- it just had more chocolate.








No comments:

Post a Comment