Thursday, March 26, 2020

Sweet Science - Pineapple Passion Fruit Mango Sorbet

Pineapple Passion Fruit Mango Sorbet - Pineapple Passion Fruit Mango Sorbet

Today's flavor is a new sorbet from the Saint Paul-based Sweet Science Ice Cream.  It is called Pineapple Passion Fruit Mango Sorbet.  This is not a 'monthly' flavor but a sorbet which has been cycled into their main rotation.   I bought it at the Keg & Case Market earlier this month.  Keg & Case is temporarily closed for the pandemic, but I have found pints of theirs stocked at Whole Foods, Kowalski's and a number of other local markets.  A reminder that sorbets are dairy-free by definitely -- it is basically flavored ice which is churned like ice cream.  Pineapple, passion fruit & mango are all flavors which I have had sorbets for in the past, but it will be fun to see how they all taste blended together.

Opening the pint, the sorbet has a nice bright yellow color.  I recognize the four dots on top from the inner lining of the lid.  Digging my spoon in, the sorbet has a good texture.  I can tell that there is no dairy in there, but it is churned quite well and almost seems 'creamy'.  The flavor is quite good.  I can specifically taste the pineapple and the passion fruit right away.  The mango I have to think about more, it is not quite as distinctive of a flavor as the other two, but I trust that it is in there. The tropical blend that the three flavors form is quite delicious.  As tropical as passion fruit is, the flavor can be a bit bitter at times so mixing it with sweeter flavors is a great idea.  I saw Milkjam Creamery do that once by blending passion fruit with lychee.

This is an excellent tropical themed sorbet from Sweet Science.  The flavors mix so well that I actually like this more than sorbets that I have had of the individual flavors.  It is a sorbet and not ice cream, so keep that in mind, but if you are in the mood for a tropical pint this is an excellent choice.




No comments:

Post a Comment