Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Sweet Science - Lemongrass Ginger Bark

Lemongrass Ginger Bark - Lemongrass Ice Cream with White Chocolate-covered Ginger Bark Pieces

The Saint Paul-based Sweet Science has new flavors for March.  The first flavor is Earl Grey with White Chocolate which I have reviewed previously and the second is today's flavor Lemongrass Ginger Bark.  The description on the carton says that they originally released this flavor back in 2014, but I have only been following Sweet Science closely since late 2017 so this flavor is new for me.  I am fairly excited about this as I have not had a lemongrass-based flavor of ice cream yet.

Lemongrass is an Old World grass which smells like lemons.  It is a source of Citonella oil.  I found a good article on the use of lemongrass in cooking here.  Another article comparing lemongrass to lemons is here.  I like the flavor of lemons, it will be interesting to see if I like lemongrass.  By "ginger bark", they mean creating a confection with ginger and white chocolate which is similar to peppermint bark and almond bark.  Let's see how these two mix.

Removing the lid, the lemongrass base has a very light yellow color and I can see chunks of ginger bark right on top of the pint.  Digging in, the lemongrass flavor is quite interesting.  The smell of lemon is in my mouth as I eat it, but the flavor is a bit more herbal than the lemon fruit would be.  It's good.  The ginger bark pieces are hard and crunchy.  In my pint, ginger was very mild and I had to focus to taste it.  Perhaps it was dominated by the lemongrass or perhaps the white chocolate bark meant to mute the ginger a bit was doing too good of a job.

This was an interesting flavor from Sweet Science.  Lemongrass is an interesting flavor.  I do prefer lemon -- their Lemon Meringue Pie flavor from January was amazing -- but this is not bad.  If you like lemongrass I'd check this out, but otherwise I'd see if I could get a sample first.  That's the problem, though, as I write this the Keg & Case Market where I got this is closed due to the coronavirus.  You can probably still find it at grocery stores like Whole Foods or Kowalski's.






No comments:

Post a Comment