Thursday, September 9, 2021

Dolcezza - Mascarpone & Berries

Mascarpone & Berries - Mascarpone Gelato with a Berry Sauce Swirl
 

I am back to the Dolcezza Gelato brand for their Mascarpone & Berries flavor.  I picked this pint up at the Whole Foods on Selby in Saint Paul.  This has a mascarpone base with a swirl of berry sauce.  Checking the ingredient list on the side of the pint, the berry sauce is a blend of raspberry, strawberry, blueberry, cherry and blackberry.  Elsewhere on the pint, they describe this particular blend of fruits as originating from the gelato parlors of Buenos Aires.  Anyhow, I do like berries and I love how mascarpone (the italian 'dessert cheese') blends with other flavors in ice creams.  I am looking forward to this.

Removing the lid, the berry sauce swirl is visible right away on top of the pint.  It is quite a dark purplish color and it also looks to have a very thick consistency.  Digging in, the berry sauce tastes a lot like a jam.  It's an interesting flavor blend, though.  I am sure all the ingredients contribute to the blend, but I do specifically taste the raspberries, blueberries and blackberries.  This jam-like sauce would be too much by itself, but mascarpone is the perfect base to balance that.  It is thicker than a sweet cream or a vanilla, yet still sweeter than a cream cheese base would be.

This is a very good berry swirl pint from Dolcezza.  My favorite flavors which are similar to this would be Jeni's Brambleberry Crisp and Pumphouse's Local Honeyberry and Raspberry Crisp.  I think the 'jammy' nature of the berry sauce here kept this Dolcezza pint a notch below those, but it was still tasty.  If you're a fan of berry swirl pints, you'll want to check this out.


 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment