Monday, September 13, 2021

Milkjam Creamery - Mouse Trap

Mouse Trap - Cheese Curd Ice Cream with Crunchy Fried Batter Pieces
 

Today brings the second of the four September flavors from Milkjam Creamery having the "State Fair" theme (instagram link here).  This flavor is called Mouse Trap (instagram link here) and is a cheese-curd-based ice cream!  Cheese curds are a very popular treat at the State Fair.  I have never had cheese-curd-based ice cream before.  I am quite curious to see how this will turn out.  I guess crunchy piece of fried batter have been added to the mix adding to the state fairs tendency to deep fry everything.  On to the ice cream!

Removing the lid, the ice cream has a light yellow color.  Digging in, I find that there are no pieces of cheese curds, but that this is ice cream that has been infused with cheese curd flavor by steeping the milk and cream with curds for a while before straining the curds back out and then churning and freezing.  Does it taste like cheese curds?  I guess so.  I can taste a bit of curd-like flavor in the mix, but it is not too strong.  It definitely is a bit saltier than the usual ice cream.  Dispersed through the mix are small pieces of fried dough which add a little bit of textural variation from time to time, but there is not as much of these pieces as I was expecting.

This is an interesting experimental flavor from Milkjam Creamery.  I must admit, I was expecting chunks of cheese curds in the ice cream, but I guess that must not have worked out in their kitchen so they went with flavor infusion instead.  Although, I could taste a bit of the salty cheese in the mix, the flavor did not wow me as much as I was expecting.  The result was not bad, but Milkjam already has their namesake Milkjam flavor which I found to be a bit better.

 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment