Thursday, September 23, 2021

Milkjam Creamery - Tim Thumb

Tim Thumb - Mini Donut Ice Cream with Cinnamon Sugar Donut Chunks
 

Today is the fourth and final of the Minneapolis-based Milkjam Creamery's "State Fair" flavors for September (instagram link here).  This one is called Tim Thumb (instagram link here).  This flavor is based on the little bags of mini-donuts that are sold almost everywhere at the State Fair.  The ones that are still warm and covered with loads of cinnamon and sugar.  Here the base is infused with by soaking the milk and cream with donuts, but then donut "croutons" are also added as a mix-in.  In addition to spicing the donuts with cinnamon, their instagram link mentions that they also blend in some garam masala spice blend (used in their Masala Holla flavor).  It'll be fun to see how much that jazzes up the flavor.

Before I begin, I'll mention that my previous Milkjam review mentions the October Halloween-themed flavors which are now available.  Just giving you a heads up so that you can look into those earlier in the month (sometimes it takes a while before my reviews show up in print).

On to today's flavor!  Removing the lid, the donut-based base has an off-white color to it.  If I look really close I might imagine that there is a bit of cinnamon in the mix, but it is not obvious.  Digging in, I can taste a little bit of cinnamon and the ice cream is simple and subtle yet quite good.  Soon, I run into the mix-ins, these donut "croutons" which are the main focus of the pint.  These are quite good!  They are still soft like the donuts and provide quite an appealing amount of spice to the mix.  My palate tells me that this is mostly cinnamon but its possible that some other "spice cake" type of spices like nutmeg, ginger and allspice are in the mix.  It's very delicious.  As I eat my way down, the spice from the donuts is balanced very well, but the simple and more subtle base.

This is an excellent donut-based flavor by Milkjam Creamery.  I like the texture of the donut mix-ins and I love the cinnamon-and-spice flavoring accenting it.  This is actually the second donut-based flavor from Milkjam Creamery this summer.  I liked today's flavor better than the first one, D'Oh, as I think the spices added more flavor than sprinkles.  This is actually my favorite of the four September State Fair flavors.  Check it out if they still have pints available, otherwise I hope they bring this back next year.


 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment