Monday, September 20, 2021

Grand Ole Creamery - Sweet Cream

Sweet Cream - Sweet Cream Ice Cream
 

Today I return to the Grand Ole Creamery on Grand Avenue in Saint Paul for a pint of their Sweet Cream flavor.  This flavor has been around since I was a kid.  One of the neighbors used to say "Sweet Cream is what they call Vanilla".  Now, that I've been writing these reviews for several years, I have come to learn that sweet cream is distinct from vanilla.  It's actually 'vanilla without the vanilla'.  That is mainly milk, cream and sugar.  It is a popular ice cream to go with cake and pie because it's basically a thicker, milkier whipped cream.  I have had simple sweet cream implementations from Tillamook and Milkjam Creamery.  Let's see how this flavor compares.

Removing the lid, the sweet cream base looks very thick.  I can tell by the way it is packed into the carton.  Digging in, it has the expected milky cream flavor.  It is quite good.  Nothing too exciting as there are no added flavors or mix-ins, but as an ice cream lover I still appreciate the simple flavors.

This is a solid implementation of a simple sweet cream flavor from the Grand Ole Creamery.  I can see why it has been a popular pre-pack flavor in my neighborhood for many years.  It is not going to wow you by itself, but it works really well with cake or pie.  It's extra thickness works well for that purpose.


 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment