Sunday, January 30, 2022

Ben & Jerry - Mint Chocolate Chance

Mint Chocolate Chance - Mint Ice Cream loaded with Fudge Brownies

Ben & Jerry's has new flavors for 2022!  The first new flavor is called Mint Chocolate Chance which is a partnership with Grammy-winning recording artist Chance the Rapper.  More links on this flavor collaboration are here.  Profits from this flavor will be donated to Chance's Chicago-based charity SocialWorks.  I also found a fun interview with Stephen Colbert where Stephen ribs Chance about trying to compete with his own flavor Americone Dream.  I bought this flavor at the Ben & Jerry's scoop shop on Lake & Excelsior in Minneapolis, but since then I have seen this at almost every grocery store in the Twin Cities.  It's in full circulation now. 

What flavor ice cream is it?  It's a mint ice cream with fudge brownie mix-ins.  Ben & Jerry's does not have a simple Mint Chip flavor so this is a mint-and-chocolate variant similar to their popular Mint Chocolate Cookie flavor.  Double-checking my archives, this flavor looks very close to a special limited batch flavor in 2016 called Empower Mint.  That flavor had an extra fudge swirl.  Today's flavor contains only brownie mix-ins.  Enough talk, let's get to the ice cream!

Removing the lid, the mint ice cream has a white color (Ben & Jerry's does not use green coloring) and I see a couple of the brownie pieces already.  Digging in, the peppermint flavor is good as always.  Soon, I encounter the chocolate brownies.  These are soft, chewy and chocolatey as always.  Ben & Jerry's helped popularize brownie mix-ins in the mid-1980s and they still do it very well.

This is a fun new flavor from Ben & Jerry's.  Mint chip was my favorite ice cream flavor when I was a kid, so I welcome more mint-and-chocolate combinations.  If I had a complaint it would be that there are not as many brownies as I expected.  The mint-chocolate balance is weighted more on the mint side than I am used to.  I think the extra fudge swirl of the old Empower Mint flavor I liked above was a good idea.  That's something they could tweak later (or maybe I got a mint-heavy batch?).  But it is still delicious and peppermint fans will want to check it out.










 


1 comment:

  1. Hi David! I'm a reporter for the Wall Street Journal and would love to chat to you for a story I'm working on all about ice cream. I'm on katie.deighton@wsj.com if you wouldn't mind dropping me an email -- thanks so much

    ReplyDelete