Thursday, January 13, 2022

Sebastian Joe's - Café Latte

Café Latte - Coffee Ice Cream 
 

Today's flavor is from the Minneapolis-based Sebastian Joe's Ice Cream and is called Café Latte.  I bought it at the scoop shop on Franklin and Hennepin in the Lowry Hill neighborhood.  This looks like a simple coffee ice cream.  At a coffee shop "café latte" means espresso with steamed milk -- in Italian café means coffee and latte means milk -- but at an ice cream shop, all dairy flavors include milk and cream so the latte designation could be considered redundant.  So, simple coffee ice cream it is.  Sebastian Joe's actually doubles as a coffee shop -- they roast their own coffee blends at the Franklin avenue location.  This has come in handy when I'm out looking for ice cream because they are open in the mornings.  Other ice cream scoop shops don't open until lunch (or even later in the winter).  I do not see any information as to which blend they use in their coffee ice cream, though.  Anyhow, let's check it out.

Removing the lid, the coffee base has a light beige color consistent with other coffee bases.  As I dig into the ice cream, I taste the coffee flavor and it pretty good as expected.  I am not a coffee afficiando, so I don't know how to compare it.  It is not super strong (some coffee bases give a big kick of caffeine).  It is not overly bitter.  I don't taste any grounds (some turkish coffees and cold brew coffees can have a grainy feel to them).  This is just good coffee flavor.  This is a homogeneous pint with no mix-ins.

This is a simple and solid coffee flavor from Sebastian Joe's.  It don't think I would go out of my way to way to get this coffee flavor over other coffee flavors, but if you are in the mood for a coffee flavor and you are near a Sebastian Joe's then this will certainly do.  They do also serve their own coffee there as well.








No comments:

Post a Comment