Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Milkjam Creamery - Stairway to 7

Stairway to 7 - Butterscotch Seven Layer Bar Ice Cream
 

Milkjam Creamery of Minneapolis has flavors for January (instagram link here) and today's flavor is Stairway to 7 (instagram link here).  The name is a pun on the classic Led Zeppelin song and Seven Layer Bars.  Have I never reviewed a seven-layer-bar themed flavor before?  Maybe not!  I know that Ben & Jerry had a scoop shop version of the flavor for a while, but they never made a pint out of it.  

I do not see a wikipedia page for Seven Layer Bars, but there are lots of recipes out there.  One recipe asserts that the traditional seven layers are 1. graham crackers 2. butter (mixed with the graham crackers to form a crust) 3. sweetened condensed milk, 4. chocolate chips 5. butterscotch chips 6. pecans (or other nuts) 7. shredded coconut.

How does Milkjam's ingredient list compare?  First this is a vegan pint (non-dairy).  The base is butterscotch-based with chocolate flecks, caramelized brown sugar, vanilla, coconut milk and rum.  The mix-ins are chocolate-covered graham crackers, toasted almonds and toasted coconut.  I have never heard of non-dairy butterscotch before but if anyone can create something like that, it would be Milkjam.  They specialize in creative vegan flavors.  Otherwise, it's pretty close to the same idea as a seven layer bar.  I think the number of ingredients now exceeds seven, but you won't get any complaints from me.

OK, enough talk, let's eat!  Removing the lid the top of the pint has an interesting texture to it -- probably due to it being non-dairy.  There are a ton of mix-ins visible already.  Digging in -- and I do mean digging in as there are a lot of mix-ins -- this pint is just overloaded with crunchy mix-ins.  I taste the chocolate right away of course.  There is the crunch of the graham crackers and the almonds.  I taste the coconut as well.  The surrounding non-dairy butterscotch base really plays a supporting role here as every spoonful is just overloaded with mix-ins.  I did not notice the non-dairy-ness of the base very much because I did not notice the base itself as much as I usually do.

This is a fun, mix-in-laden non-dairy from Milkjam Creamery.  It does taste a lot like a frozen seven layer bar!  Chocolate, graham cracker, almond and coconut are the dominant flavors here while butterscotch plays a more supporting role.  If you like seven layer bars, you should check this out.  This is a successful monthly experiment which I hope returns.







No comments:

Post a Comment