Friday, January 7, 2022

Milkjam Creamery - Pineapple Ooey Gooey

Pineapple Ooey Gooey - Malted Milk Ice Cream, Ooey Gooey Cake and Caramelized Pineapple
 

Milkjam Creamery of Minneapolis has flavors for January (instagram link here) and today's flavor is Pineapple Ooey Gooey (instagram link here).  This ice cream features a malted milk ice cream with mix-ins of ooey gooey butter cake and caramelized pineapple.  Ooey Gooey Butter Cake is a dessert popularized in the Saint Louis area.  I have had several flavors which use it in ice cream including flavors from Jeni's, Ample Hills and a more basic flavor from Milkjam.  Caramelized pineapple sounds like a fun addition to the mix.  Let's check it out.

Removing the lid, the malted milk ice cream base has an off-white color to it.  Quickly I encounter the mix-ins as I eat my way down.  The gooey butter cake is soft and chewy and the caramelized pineapple is a bit tangy but also has a bit of caramel flavor to it.  The malt flavor of the base is evident and acts to mute the flavor of the caramelized pineapple just a bit.

This is an interesting and unique flavor.  It reminded me a little bit of Jeni's Pineapple Upside Down Cake flavor but instead of a sweet pineapple and cherry, they use a caramelized pineapple and malt.  I enjoy and applaud the uniqueness of this flavor.  I did not love it as much as I wanted to,  Perhaps I prefer a sweeter pineapple?  That could be a personal preference.  This is worth sampling if you get the chance. 







No comments:

Post a Comment