Monday, August 12, 2019

Graeter's - Cookies & Cream

Cookies & Cream - Sweet Cream with Oreo Cookie Pieces

Today is the fifth pint from my recent six-pint shipment from the Cincinnati-based Graeter's Ice Cream.  The first four pints of my shipment were special summer releases, the last two are from their standard menu.  I have not yet tried every flavor on the standard menu, so that is OK.  Today's flavor is the classic Cookies & Cream.  I tried their Cheesecake Cookies & Cream last summer when it was a limited release, but I have not yet had their regular cookies & cream.  I admit this is a bit backwards but it is not unusual for me to do this.  The limited batch flavors are often a twist on the standard flavors and there is an urgency for me to try the limited batch flavors first because they are only out for a limited time.  In this implementation of cookies & cream, a sweet cream (i.e. no vanilla) is used for the base and Oreo-brand sandwich cookies are used for the mix-ins.

Removing the lid, I see a sweet cream base that is speckled with a lot of cookie crumbs.  Oreos make very fine crumbs when you crush them.  There are hints of larger cookie pieces as well.  As I dig in, it is not long before I encounter a very large cookie piece.  Check out the picture below.  You can see the creme filling between the two chocolate halves.  I don't think I've seen a cookie that larger before -- I'm not sure what happened, but I like it.  It reminds me of some of the very large chocolate chips that you often get in Graeter's Signature Chip line.  It is quite good.  Oreos in ice cream is a winning combination.

This is a simple, yet quite good implementation of cookies & cream.  Real Oreos are used with some pieces being quite large.  The sweet cream base is simple, yet creamy and good as you would expect from Graeter's.  This simple flavor is one that your supermarket might carry if it carries Graeter's.  It's certainly worth checking out to see how it compares to cookies & cream from other brands.





8 comments:

  1. Any Idea what Twin Cities stores carry this Brand?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I see their Website says Lunds and Byerlys and Whole Foods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David say Hi to the Members of East Metro Foodies as this post has done the best of the Previous posted, not sure why but there seems to be a lot of folks from the Cincinnati area or it could be I posted that this brand could be found at Lunds and Byerlys or Whole Foods but even had one response say you made their day with this review.
    Hope you can join us on Facebook soon.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. :-)

    Graeter's is a great brand. They are slightly more expensive than Ben & Jerry's and Haagen-Dazs, but they are not as expensive as Jeni's or McConnell's (or getting a hand-pack from a local scoop shop).

    Everyone loves their giant chocolate chips. Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip is their best flavor. I should rewrite my review for that flavor. The pint I got had a melt-and-refreeze issue which hasn't happened before or since (I blame the grocery store in CA). I also love their Mint Chocolate Chip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately they did not have this brand at the WBL Lunds Byerlys store but can try Whole Paycheck when I go back to work Monday.
    Your next review will be interesting as we have a blogger Surma of My Annoying Opinions who is a member and will be interesting to see what he thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For some reason my Lunds (Highland Park) puts the Graeter's on the other end of the frozen food section away from most of the other ice creams. They only carry ~4 flavors, but one of them is always Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that's probably the same in WBL as the Website does say they carry that brand, I got to go out that way again so I'll check.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the worst "ice" creams I have ever experienced. The whole pint was filled with ice crystals. Not worth it! It is almost as bad as Halo Top. Pass on this for Haagen-Daz or Talenti.

    ReplyDelete