Monday, August 26, 2019

Pumphouse Creamery - Fresh Peach

Fresh Peach - Colorado Peaches Folded into Madagascar Vanilla Ice Cream
Today's pint comes from the Pumphouse Creamery in south Minneapolis.  This is the third pint that I picked up in my recent visit to the Chicago Avenue scoop shop.  The first was Garam Masala, the second was Blueberries and Buttermilk and the today's third pint is Fresh Peach.  Pumphouse specializes in seasonal fruit and other garden-type flavors.  Their most famous flavor is the springtime Fresh Rhubarb and I really enjoyed their Door County Sour Cherry flavor last fall.  August and September is peach season and I am seeing Colorado Peaches at my grocery stores and my pie shops.  So, I am excited to check this flavor out.

Removing the lid, I am greeted by a giant hunk of peach just under the lid.  Cool.  I see it sitting on top of a creamy white vanilla base.  Digging in, the peach tastes pretty darn good.  It goes quite well with the thick and creamy vanilla as well.  As I eat my way further down the pint, I am finding that some of the peach pieces are pretty big which is always fun.  I did find that a couple of the peach pieces were frozen which is not ideal but perhaps unavoidable for pieces this large frozen into ice cream.  The easy thing to do avoid chewing right away which gives it a chance to melt in my mouth.  Doing, that I was able to avoid biting into a frozen peach piece.

This is an excellent implementation of a peach ice cream.  Checking my archives, the major competition was a seasonal pint I got by mail from Graeter's.  I really liked both, but there were distinctive differences.  Graeter's had smaller peach pieces in a peach-flavored base and perhaps the best overall peach flavor.  This Pumphouse pint had larger peach pieces in a vanilla base, so it was more of a peaches and cream.  This pint also had more of a homemade feel to it.  The most important advantage this Pumphouse pint has is that is is available now -- though their website is telling me only through late September.  Check it out if you are in the area and you like peaches.






1 comment:

  1. Hi again David,
    Since this dealt with Ice Cream from the scoop shop on Chicago ave I decided to post this on our sister group Minneapolis and West Metro Foodies and have 3 responses so far as opposed to none in the East Metro.
    Here is what they had to say:
    Likes the Vegan Ice Cream, Sea Salt Carmel so Good!, So Good buys by the quart!
    If any member is reading please make your comments here on the blog.
    Thanks,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete