Saturday, August 10, 2019

Milkjam Creamery - Waka Flocka Flakes


Waka Flocka Flakes - Vanilla Bean Ice Cream with Caramelized Cornflakes & a Berry Swirl

Today I return to the Minneapolis-based Milkjam Creamery for a flavor called Waka Flocka Flakes.  I have been eyeing this flavor on their website all summer, but every time I visit, it is not available in pints.  Finally, on my last visit they had it!  It is a cereal-based flavor.  Caramelized cornflakes are mixed into vanilla bean ice cream with a berry swirl.  I cannot wait to check it out.

The name of the pint reminded me of Fozzie Bear but a quick googling tells me that it is a reference to the rapper Waka Flocka Flame, but it turns out the rapper's name is a reference to Fozzie Bear.  I guess the rapper's given name is Juaquin and one of his young cousins used to call him 'Waka' which reminded everyone of Fozzie and the nickname stuck.  Waka even has a diamond-encrusted Fozzie-bear necklace.  So it is all connected.

On to the ice cream!  Removing the lid, I see a the vanilla base is an off-white yellowish color with quite a lot of the berry swirl marbled in even on the very top of the pint.  Some of the corn flakes can be seen on the top as well.  As I dig in, the berry flavor of the swirl is quite good.  I encounter the corn flakes pretty quickly.  Unfortunately, they have gotten a bit soggy in the ice cream, but the flavor is good.  The caramelization of the flakes is fairly light and subtle.  Mainly, I just taste corn flakes.  The berry swirl is the best part of the pint.  Upon closer examination, I see that this is a mixed berry blend.  I saw a peel fragment which obviously blueberry.  I saw some seeds too.  Some smaller seeds that looked like they came from blueberries as well as larger seeds that normally come from a cane berry (i.e. raspberries and/or blackberries).  It was a good berry mix.

This is an interesting cereal-based flavor from Milkjam Creamery.  I liked the flavor of the berry swirl and the corn flake mix-ins, but the sogginess of the corn flakes kept this flavor from being a home run.  I said the same thing about their Cereal Killers flavor.  The other cereal flavor I have had from them -- Monster Mash -- did not have this issue.  That's not to say that I did not like this flavor, corn flakes an berries are a fun and delicious combination, but the sogginess may be an issue for some.  I asked this in the Cereal Killers review, but perhaps the cereal is crispier in the scooping bins at the scoop shop?





No comments:

Post a Comment