Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Pumphouse Creamery - Fresh Blueberries and Buttermilk

Fresh Blueberries and Buttermilk - Blueberries and Buttermilk Ice Cream
Today is another pint from Pumphouse Creamery in South Minneapolis.  I picked up three pints last time I was there.  Garam Masala was the first, and the second is called Fresh Blueberries & Buttermilk.  It is a blueberry ice cream which is made with buttermilk.  An interesting combination.  I have seen peaches with buttermilk once from Jeni's here.   I have seen lemon with buttermilk from Pumphouse and Jeni's.  I've had a lemon, blueberry and buttermilk yogurt from Jeni's here.  This pint from Pumphouse is just blueberries and buttermilk (no lemon).  Let's check it out.

Removing the lid, I see a the light bluish purple color of the blueberry buttermilk base with lots of blueberry pieces visible.  Digging in, though I immediately taste the effects of the buttermilk.  Thankfully, it does not taste like drinking buttermilk.  It tastes pretty good!  It is not outwardly sour but it is definitely not as sweet as normal ice cream.  The best analogy I can think of is a sourdough bread.  This is the ice cream version of a sourdough bread.  The blueberry pieces are delicious and go pretty well into the buttermilk base.  I am really liking this combination.

This is a fun and unique ice cream flavor!  The effects of the buttermilk are the strongest that I have yet seen in a pint of ice cream, but it is still good!  It creates sort of a cultured sourdough-like flavor which I found quite fascinating.  This might not be for everyone but if you are not in the mood for something overly sweet and a cultured base sounds interesting, then you should give this flavor a try.







No comments:

Post a Comment