Thursday, August 29, 2019

Museum of Ice Cream - Queen Bee

Queen Bee - Honey Ice Cream with Chocolatey Covered Honeycomb & English Toffee with Almonds
The Museum of Ice Cream has new flavors this summer!  As mentioned in my first review of this brand, the Museum of Ice Cream started in 2016 as an experience-based museum that traveled from city to city where you can do things like play in giant sprinkle pools and stuff like that.  Last summer, they teamed up with Target to release seven flavors.  Some of them were a little heavy on candy mix-ins but some of them were pretty decent.  You can check them out in my review archive here.  This year, they have added several new flavors featuring new pint designs and what at first glance appears to be more savory flavors (more chocolates, caramels and malts and pretzels).  Today's flavor is called Queen Bee.  It is a Honey-centric flavor which a honey base, a honey mix-in and also toffee and almonds.  I got the pint at Target.

Removing the lid, they have a foil cover with a clever saying on it.  Coolhaus does that.  This one is telling me to 'dive right in'.  OK, let's go!  Peeling back the foil, I see a pint which is peppered with lots of mix-ins.  I see the lighter brown of the English toffee and the darker brown of the chocolate-covered honeycomb.  Digging in, the honey base is not too strong, but you can tell there is honey in it.  I enjoyed the toffee and almond pieces.  The toffee pieces outnumbered the almond pieces but I could still feel the occasional crunch from the almonds.  The chocolate coating of the honeycomb pieces was quite good, but like a recent Graeter's pint, I was not really into the odd hard-candy-like crunch of the honeycomb pieces themselves.  The chocolate coating certainly helped though.

This is an interesting pint.  It is the second flavor that I have had this summer which has included "honeycomb candies", so perhaps this type of candy is getting hot right now.  This particular type of candy is not for me, though.  It is just too much like hard candy -- like a candy cane pieces but made with honey.  I think I would have preferred like a chocolate covered honeycomb cereal instead.  The other mix-ins certainly helped though, so I liked this better then the recent Graeter's pint.  But of course, if you really like these types of hard honeycomb candy pieces, you'll certainly enjoy this pint more than me.







1 comment:

  1. It's cold honeycomb, so if you let it defrost, they become chewy and delicious. I thought it was amazing.

    ReplyDelete