Monday, August 19, 2019

Graeter's - Vienna Coffee


Vienna Coffee - Espresso-flavored Ice Cream made with Sumatran and Columbian Arabica Beans

Today is the sixth and final review from my recent six-pint shipment from the Cincinnati-based Graeter's Ice Cream.  This flavor is called Vienna Coffee.  I had never heard of Vienna Coffee, but I guess it is a reference to a specific beverage.  Vienna coffee is two cups of espresso and instead of mixing it with cream and sugar, it is mixed with whipped cream.  It sounds like a fun drink.  I guess ice cream is a form of whipped cream -- it is churned and frozen instead of simply whipped and served.  So, you could almost say that all coffee ice creams are similar to a frozen Vienna Coffee.  But it is still a fun name and it is fun for me to learn about new things.

On to the ice cream. Removing the lid, the coffee-base is quite light in color.  Perhaps there is more cream used here?  Digging in, I immediately taste the coffee flavor.  It is not extremely strong, but I can tell that it is made with a stronger bean and then diluted with cream -- it has a little bit of an espresso bite to it.  I am not a coffee afficiando myself, so I double-checked with my coffee-loving friend and they liked it and thought it was good coffee flavor.

This is a well-done implementation of a coffee ice cream.  It is not too strong, but I can tell there is a slight espresso-like flavor underneath the milk and cream.  It has a good creamy texture which I have come to expect from Graeter's.  Nothing too fancy, but if you are in the mood for a simple, but well done coffee ice cream and you like Graeter's, then give this pint a try.





4 comments:

  1. Looked at Lunds Byerlys in White Bear again and ended up talking to the Manager who said none of the stores carry it anymore.
    Told her you saw it at Highland but she didn't see it in their inventory.
    I'll have to check whole foods by work in Woodbury.
    I think we get a better response in the group if people know where they can get the brands your writing about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I just double-checked Lunds last night and it looks like they stopped stocking the Graeter's brand. :-(. Oh well. I used to see them at Target as well, but it looks like they've stopped stocking them there, too. I once bought them at Tim & Tom's Speedy Market in Saint Anthony Park, too, but the number of brands they carry has also gone down recently. I haven't been to Whole Foods in a while. Hopefully they still have some Graeter's flavors. Not sure what the deal is, Graeter's is a great brand.

      I got these six Graeter's pints by mail order. The first sentence of the review says "shipment". So, this probably wouldn't be the best review to promote to the twin-cities-centric facebook group. Sorry about the confusion.

      Yes, it is a bit crazy to get ice cream delivered by mail, but this has sort of turned into my hobby and that's the best way to get new flavors. I'll try to be more explicit about where I buy each pint in the future.

      Delete
  2. I just hope the group gives a little more visibility as we've lost a lot of good local Bloggers!
    We just turned two years old and have 14,383 Members as of today.
    The newest thing seems to be video blogging and most those folks post their own with one posting szechuan spice just today, even though it's a west metro place still looked yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably keep posting for quite a while -- even if it's into the void. Just keep in mind that I occasionally order weird stuff online which no one in your group will have access to. I might order from some place in Texas next (Lick Ice Cream), not sure yet. And when I go on vacation, I'll write a few reviews on the ice cream I find there that I can't get in Minnesota. I'll try to make it more obvious when I'm doing odd stuff like that so people don't go running around trying to find something you can't get outside New York City or soemthing. Cheers.

      Delete