Thursday, December 19, 2019

Izzy's - Egg Nog

Egg Nog - Egg Nog Ice Cream with Nutmeg and Rum Flavor

 

Today is a seasonal flavor from the Saint-Paul-based Izzy's Ice Cream.  This is Egg Nog.  In the past, I have mentioned that some people (including myself) have an aversion to egg nog as a beverage, something about the texture I think.  But I really enjoy egg-nog-flavored desserts.  When you take the ingredients of egg nog, add some sugar and work them into a dessert you usually end up with 'custard'.  This is not just an ice cream thing either.  I have seen this effect with egg-nog-themed pastries and donuts -- the egg nog will manifest itself as a nutmeg custard filling.  I love custard, so I am looking forward to this.

Since I ate this (and before I wrote the review), Izzy's has been featured on a local business podcast called By All Means.  Check Izzy's blogpost about it here. (updated podcast link here)  The discussion has a business slant but there is plenty of talk of ice cream in their as well.  If you like Izzy's and are curious about their business history and where they would like to go with their business in the future, check it out.

Back to the Egg Nog!  The first thing I notice, is that Izzy's has changed their packaging on their hand-packed pints.  The switch from 16 ounces to 14 ounces that they made with their pre-packaged offerings.  To their credit, they are committed to referring to these not as 'pints' but as 'tall cups' -- and the price is a little cheaper.  Removing the lid, the ice cream is the expected light yellow color.  Interestingly, I can see a few flakes of nutmeg already.  Digging in, this is very thick and creamy.  Izzy's is known for having having rich, thick bases with generous amount of butterfat.  The extra eggs in the mix make this feel even thicker.  I taste the egg custard flavor, but also taste the nutmeg right away.  Good quality nutmeg, too.  The website says there is rum flavoring in the mix as well, but it does not stick out as much as the nutmeg.

This is an excellent implementation of a egg nog ice cream.  Egg nog in ice cream creates a rich frozen-custard-like base and the nutmeg here is particularly delicious.  Enjoy.










No comments:

Post a Comment