Monday, December 23, 2019

Pumphouse Creamery - Sea Salt Caramel and Praline Pecans

Sea Salt Caramel and Praline Pecans - Salted Caramel Ice Cream with Praline Pecans
Today's flavor is from Pumphouse Creamery in South Minneapolis.  It is called Sea Salt Caramel and Praline Pecans.  Their website lists it as one of their older (2004) and most popular flavors.  I like caramel and praline pecans so I figured I would give it a try.

The top of the pint is a fairly light beige color lighter than most caramel bases.  With the first spoonful, it is a fairly mild caramel base.  It is tasty, though.  Reminded me more of the old-fashioned salted caramel from Graeter's than the stronger and saltier caramels that seem to be common these days.  I think the point here is to serve as a vehicle for the mix-ins.  As I dig down into the ice cream, I run into the pecans.  The praline coating here is light.  It is not the thick candied brittle-like coating that some praline pecans have.  It tastes like the pecans have been soaked in salted maple syrup before mixing them in.  I can taste the pecans more than the usual praline mix-ins.

This is a mild, yet delicious version of a pralines and cream from Pumphouse.  A muted caramel base is used with simple maple-syrup-coated pecan mixed in.  I don't mean to knock it though.  It was quite delicious to eat.  It was almost like a cross between a butter pecan and a pralines and cream.  As long as you know what to expect.  Try a sample at the scoop shop and see if it is for you.




No comments:

Post a Comment